Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Encounter with a Stranger

I hugged a stranger yesterday.

While walking across the church parking lot to pick up my local foods order, a woman approached me.  I shared some coins with her as she asked if I could spare some change, but it was soon evident that she needed more than money.  I took the time to listen, to make eye contact, to ask and learn her name.   As she shared her story, I asked if it would be helpful if I prayed with her.   She didn't exactly answer my question, but later as she began to cry, I gave her a hug and whispered a prayer that she would know God's comfort.  I stayed about ten minutes, listening and hugged her about three times.

I know this was just one small encounter in a long hard life.  I'd be naive to think that it will make a tangible difference.  Yet I hope that for those brief moments I was able to be a physical representative of God's great love for this broken stranger.  He hasn't forgotten her and neither have I.

Linking up with Imperfect Prose;



8 comments:

  1. You inspire me. I have difficulty hugging people I like. I'm in awe of people touching and hugging strangers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, love this! you made a difference in a hurting person's life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful how God used you to bless that woman. Aren't we all looking for comfort and a hug? She will probably remember that moment for the rest of her life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a beautiful soul, Grace. Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. big smiles...so many people that just need a hug...and it makes a huge difference...

      Delete
  5. Oh but it did make a tangible difference! I speak from being the wounded one. To be noticed, acknowledged, and loved is what we seek. You gave and abundant and extravagant gift without even realizing it. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. thank you for showing her Jesus' love. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i started to cry as i read this, grace. this, this is love. pure and simple love. and love always makes a difference. don't ever doubt that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete